The Stihl BG 50 is a gas-powered handheld leaf blower delivering 412 CFM at 159 MPH. It features a 2-cycle 27.2cc engine. (Read full specs)
Features and Specifications
|Up to 412
|Up to 159
|14.5 fl. oz.
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue. Should you wish more detailed specs on the Stihl BG 50, the user manual is available here (opens in a new tab).
Overview of the Stihl BG 50
- Power: The Stihl BG 50 is a gas-powered blower with a maximum air volume rating of 412 cubic feet per minute (CFM) and an air speed of 159 MPH.
- Handling: Being handheld, this blower has a good maneuverability and is meant to be easier to carry around over a small period of time. When compared to other gas-powered handheld blowers, the Stihl BG 50 stands out due to its lower weight: just 7.9 lbs.
- Engine: This blower's engine has a displacement specification of 27.2cc. Being that this is a 2-stroke engine, it must be fuelled using a mix of gas and oil. The proper fuel ratio set by the manufacturer for the BG 50 is 50:1.
- Speed Settings: For those who are keen on having complete control while operating their leaf blower, the BG 50 offers variable speed settings.
- Noise: Its noise rating of 70 dB can be considered the standard for similar gas-powered handheld blowers.
- Fuel Tank: Its tank can hold 14.5 fl. oz., so it falls squarely in the average in terms of fuel capacity for handheld blowers.
The Stihl BG 50's performance versus other blowers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea how the key specs of the Stihl BG 50 compare with similar leaf blowers.
- The air speed of the Stihl BG 50 maxes out at 159 MPH. While more than adequate for many jobs, its air speed is below average among other gas-powered handheld blowers. For the fastest air speed in this category, you may want to consider the Craftsman BV2500, which can expell air at a velocity that can reach 250 MPH.
- Its max air volume rating (412 cubic feet per minute) means it is really not the biggest air producer of gas-powered handheld blowers. For the highest air volume, you may want to have a look at the Craftsman B225, which boasts with 650 CFM.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other gas handheld blowers, the Stihl BG 50 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this blower nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
Stihl AG & Company KG was founded by Andreas Stihl in 1926. The German company specializes in handheld outdoor power equipment. Over the past fifty years, Stihl has opened manufacturing plants in Brazil, the United States, and China. The German company’s sure and steady expansion has made it a leading provider of in the lawn, forestry, and landscape maintenance industries.
The Stihl BG 50 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may not cover all parts of the blower.
For more information about the warranty of Stihl blowers, please consult Stihl's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-467-8445.
Questions & Answers
Is BG 50 easy to start (Asked October 1, 2021)
The unit features a standard pull-start mechanism. It is not fitted with Stihl's Easy2Start technology, which allows units to attempt to start no matter how hard the rope was pulled. To find a Stihl unit that benefits from this technology, look for the letters "C-E" in the model name.
What is the spark plug gap on the BG50 (Asked February 28, 2023)
Gap should be 0.02 in.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.