The Stihl BG 86 C-E is a gas-powered handheld leaf blower delivering 444 CFM at 190 MPH. It features a 2-cycle 27.2 cc engine. (Read full specs)
Features and Specifications
|CFM||Up to 444|
|MPH||Up to 190|
|Blowing Force||15 N|
|Engine displacement||27.2 cc|
|Fuel tank||14.9 fl. oz.|
|Noise rating||70 dB|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue. Should you wish more detailed specs on the Stihl BG 86 C-E, the user manual is available here (opens in a new tab).
Overview of the Stihl BG 86 C-E
- Power: The Stihl BG 86 C-E is a gas-powered leaf blower. It sports a max air speed of 190 MPH and a max air volume rating of 444 cubic feet per minute (CFM).
- Handling: With its handheld design, this leaf blower was created with portability in mind. Most users will have no problem using it almost anywhere. At 9.9 lbs, the Stihl BG 86 C-E is within the average weight range of gas-powered handheld blowers.
- Engine: This blower is fitted with a 27.2 cc 2-MIX engine. Please be aware that 2-cycle engines like this one require a mixture of gas and oil in order to run. For the Stihl BG 86 C-E, this ratio is 50:1.
- Speed Settings: To provide more control over their job to the user, the unit has a variable speed control setting. No matter the size of the job, the user can adjust the airflow of the Stihl BG 86 C-E to match it. On top of that, maintaining the selected speed is effortless, as it also features cruise control.
- Noise: Its noise rating of 70 dB can be considered the standard for similar gas-powered handheld blowers.
- Fuel Tank: Its tank can hold 14.9 fl. oz., so it falls squarely in the average in terms of fuel capacity.
- Easy2Start™: The BG 86 C-E has the letter “E” in its name, which is Stihl’s indication that it benefits from Stihl’s proprietary Easy2Start™ (also called “ErgoStart”) technology. As the name suggests, this technology makes the starter mechanism more reliable thanks to an additional spring between the crankshaft and the starter rope. Upon pulling the starter rope, the engine will attempt to start regardless of how hard the rope was pulled – even a simple two-finger pull is sufficient to start it. Easy2Start™ allows the BG 86 C-E to be started with remarkably less effort than most other blowers.
The Stihl BG 86 C-E's performance versus other blowers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea how the key specs of the Stihl BG 86 C-E compare with similar leaf blowers.
- Forced air exiting this blower has been clocked at a max speed of 190 MPH. This puts the BG 86 C-E ahead of the pack as far as air speed is concerned in gas-powered handheld blowers (the one expelling air at the fastest speed being the Poulan Pro PPBV25 with 230 MPH).
- The BG 86 C-E is average in terms of air volume. It's rated at 444 CFM, which is common for gas-powered handheld blowers (the biggest expelled air volume belonging to the Troy-Bilt TB2MB JET with 650 CFM).
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas handheld blowers, the Stihl BG 86 C-E is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it could most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
Stihl AG & Company KG was founded by Andreas Stihl in 1926. The German company specializes in handheld outdoor power equipment. Over the past fifty years, Stihl has opened manufacturing plants in Brazil, the United States, and China. The German company’s sure and steady expansion has made it a leading provider of in the lawn, forestry, and landscape maintenance industries.
The Stihl BG 86 C-E is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may not cover all parts of the blower.
For more information about the warranty of Stihl blowers, please consult Stihl's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-467-8445.
Questions & Answers
My Leaf blower has lost power! I have replaced the plug but to no avail. The air filter is not dirty. (Asked August 22, 2019)
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.