The Stihl BG 86 is a 2-in-1 blower/vacuum delivering 444 CFM at 190 MPH. It features a 2-cycle 27.2cc engine. (Read full specs)
Features and Specifications
|Up to 444
|Up to 190
|14.9 fl. oz.
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue. Should you wish more detailed specs on the Stihl BG 86, the user manual is available here (opens in a new tab).
Overview of the Stihl BG 86
- Power: The Stihl BG 86 is a gas-powered leaf blower. It sports a max air speed of 190 MPH and a max air volume rating of 444 cubic feet per minute (CFM).
- Handling: With its handheld design, this leaf blower was created with portability in mind. Most users will have no problem using it almost anywhere. At 9.7 lbs, the Stihl BG 86 is within the average weight range of gas-powered handheld blowers.
- Engine: This blower is fitted with a 27.2cc 2-MIX engine. Please be aware that 2-cycle engines like this one require a mixture of gas and oil in order to run. For the Stihl BG 86, this ratio is 50:1.
- Speed Settings: For those who are keen on having complete control while operating their leaf blower, the BG 86 offers variable speed settings.
- Vacuum: This unit isn’t just a blower—it has the added feature of being able to collect leaves and soft debris into a handy storage bag (vacuum kit and bag not included).
- Noise: With a decibel rating of 70 dB, the BG 86 is neither louder nor quieter than its rivals in the gas-powered handheld category.
- Fuel Tank: It has an average fuel capacity for a handheld blower, with a tank that holds around 14.9 fl. oz of fuel.
The Stihl BG 86's performance versus other blowers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea how the key specs of the Stihl BG 86 compare with similar leaf blowers.
- It can push air from the nozzle at 190 MPH, which puts it ahead of its class in terms of air speed for gas-powered handheld blowers. If you wish to benefit from air expelled at the fastest possible speed, the Craftsman BV2500 and its 250 MPH could be an option to consider.
- It has a maximum air volume output of 444 CFM (cubic feet per minute). With this output rating, the BG 86 is well within average in relation to similar gas-powered handheld blowers. If air volume is important to you, the Craftsman B225, with 650 CFM, could be in your good books.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other blower vacs, the Stihl BG 86 is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it could most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
2-Mix Engine Technology
Stihl's 2-Mix engine is a more eco-friendly and powerful approach to the traditional 2-stroke engine. It features what Stihl calls "stratified scavenging", which simply means that a layer of air is created between the combustion chamber and the crankcase. This action allows the engine to separate fresh fuel from the exhaust, which in turn minimizes the scavenging losses and eliminates the components of the mix that pose a health and environmental hazard (compliant with European Emissions Directive, Stage II). The 2-Mix engine offers a high torque over a wide speed range, a fuel consumption up to 20% lower than conventional 2-cycle engines, and fewer harmful emissions.
Stihl AG & Company KG was founded by Andreas Stihl in 1926. The German company specializes in handheld outdoor power equipment. Over the past fifty years, Stihl has opened manufacturing plants in Brazil, the United States, and China. The German company’s sure and steady expansion has made it a leading provider of in the lawn, forestry, and landscape maintenance industries.
The Stihl BG 86 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may not cover all parts of the blower.
For more information about the warranty of Stihl blowers, please consult Stihl's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-467-8445.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.