The Stihl BG 86 is a gas-powered handheld leaf blower delivering 444 CFM at 190 MPH. It features a 2-cycle 27.2 cc engine. (Read full specs)
Features and Specifications
|CFM||Up to 444|
|MPH||Up to 190|
|Blowing Force||15 N|
|Engine displacement||27.2 cc|
|Fuel tank||14.9 fl. oz.|
|Noise rating||70 dB|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue. Should you wish more detailed specs on the Stihl BG 86, the user manual is available here (opens in a new tab).
Overview of the Stihl BG 86
- Power: The Stihl BG 86 is a gas-powered leaf blower. It sports a max air speed of 190 MPH and a max air volume rating of 444 cubic feet per minute (CFM).
- Handling: With its handheld design, this leaf blower was created with portability in mind. Most users will have no problem using it almost anywhere. At 9.7 lbs, the Stihl BG 86 is within the average weight range of gas-powered handheld blowers.
- Engine: This blower is fitted with a 27.2 cc 2-MIX engine. Since this is a 2-stroke engine, it’s important to remember that the BG 86 cannot run on gasoline alone. The fuel must be mixed with an appropriate ratio of gasoline and oil in order for it to function properly (for this Stihl model, this ratio is 50:1).
- Speed Settings: Thanks to its variable speed settings, the Stihl BG 86 allows precise control of the air output.
- Noise: With a decibel rating of 70 dB, the BG 86 is neither louder nor quieter than its rivals in the gas-powered handheld category.
- Fuel Tank: It has an average fuel capacity, with a tank able to hold around 14.9 fl. oz of fuel.
The Stihl BG 86's performance versus other blowers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea how the key specs of the Stihl BG 86 compare with similar leaf blowers.
- Upon exiting the nozzle, the air can reach speeds of up to 190 MPH, which is rather impressive for a gas-powered handheld blower. If you wish to benefit from air expelled at the fastest possible speed, the Poulan Pro PPBV25 and its 230 MPH could be an option to consider.
- Regarding its air volume, the airflow of the Stihl BG 86 can reach 444 CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute), which is on par with other gas-powered handheld blowers. If air volume is important to you, the Troy-Bilt TB2MB JET, with 650 CFM, could be in your good books.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas handheld blowers, the Stihl BG 86 is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it could most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
2-Mix Engine Technology
Stihl's 2-Mix engine is a more eco-friendly and powerful approach to the traditional 2 stroke engine. It features what Stihl calls "stratified scavenging", which simply means that a layer of air is created between the combustion chamber and the crankcase. This action allows the engine to separate fresh fuel from the exhaust, which in turn minimizes the scavenging losses and eliminates the components of the mix that pose a health and environmental hazard (compliant with European Emissions Directive, Stage II). The 2-Mix engine offers a high torque over a wide speed range, a fuel consumption up to 20% lower than conventional 2-cycle engines, and fewer harmful emissions.
Stihl AG & Company KG was founded by Andreas Stihl in 1926. The German company specializes in handheld outdoor power equipment. Over the past fifty years, Stihl has opened manufacturing plants in Brazil, the United States, and China. The German company’s sure and steady expansion has made it a leading provider of in the lawn, forestry, and landscape maintenance industries.
The Stihl BG 86 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may not cover all parts of the blower.
For more information about the warranty of Stihl blowers, please consult Stihl's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-467-8445.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.