The Stihl BR 500 is a gas-powered backpack leaf blower delivering 544 CFM at 207 MPH. It features a 4-cycle 64.8 cc engine. (Read full specs)
Features and Specifications
|CFM||Up to 544|
|MPH||Up to 207|
|Blowing Force||22 N|
|Engine displacement||64.8 cc|
|Fuel tank||47.3 fl. oz.|
|Noise rating||65 dB|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue. Should you wish more detailed specs on the Stihl BR 500, the user manual is available here (opens in a new tab).
Overview of the Stihl BR 500
- Power: The BR 500, built by Stihl, is a gas-powered leaf blower capable of expelling a maximum air volume of 544 cubic feet per minute (CFM). Its air speed is rated at 207 MPH.
- Handling: As this unit is a backpack leaf blower, the majority of the unit is distributed so that the user can operate it with ease for most reasonable periods of use. Its throttle is located on the tube, which allows you to keep your left hand free. All told, it weighs 22.3 lbs — the Stihl BR 500 is neither the lightest nor the heaviest gas-powered backpack blower on the market.
- Engine: This blower is fitted with a 64.8 cc 4-Mix engine. Stihl's 4-Mix engine is a 4-stroke engine that runs with a mixture of oil and gas (50:1 ratio). You can find more details about this technology further down the page.
- Speed Settings: For those who wish to have complete control while operating their leaf blower, the BR 500 offers variable speed settings, and moreover, is also equipped with cruise control, which allows the user to comfortably continue blowing at their preferred setting.
- Noise: Its noise rating of 65 dB can be considered the standard for similar gas-powered backpack blowers.
- Fuel Tank: Its tank can hold 47.3 fl. oz., so it falls squarely in the average in terms of fuel capacity.
The Stihl BR 500's performance versus other blowers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea how the key specs of the Stihl BR 500 compare with similar leaf blowers.
- Upon exiting the nozzle, the air can reach speeds of up to 207 MPH, which is pretty much what is to be expected for gas-powered backpack blowers. If you wish to benefit from air expelled at the fastest possible speed, the Husqvarna 150BT and its 251 MPH could be an option to consider.
- It’s capable of expelling a maximum air volume of 544 CFM (cubic feet per minute). This places it at the low end compared to other gas-powered backpack blowers. For the highest air volume, you may want to have a look at the Echo PB-9010T, which boasts with 1110 CFM.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas backpack blowers, the Stihl BR 500 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this blower nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
4-Mix Engine Technology
Stihl's 4-Mix engine combines the advantages of 2-cycle and 4-cycle engines. This award-winning 4-stroke engine runs on a mix of gasoline and oil (1:50). For this to happen, the gasoline-oil mix enters the cylinder head through a bypass channel in order to offer full lubrication, which avoids the need for parts like an oil pump, sump or tank (which are compulsory for traditional 4-stroke engines). Therefore, there is no oil servicing to do (easy maintenance), the leaf blower is lighter (due to fewer parts) and its overall noise is lower. Additionally, all 4-MIX engines are fitted with a system that considerably reduces the effort needed to pull the starter rope.
Stihl AG & Company KG was founded by Andreas Stihl in 1926. The German company specializes in handheld outdoor power equipment. Over the past fifty years, Stihl has opened manufacturing plants in Brazil, the United States, and China. The German company’s sure and steady expansion has made it a leading provider of in the lawn, forestry, and landscape maintenance industries.
The Stihl BR 500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may not cover all parts of the blower.
For more information about the warranty of Stihl blowers, please consult Stihl's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-467-8445.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.