Features and Specifications
|CFM||Up to 544|
|MPH||Up to 207|
|Blowing Force||22 N|
|Engine Displacement||64.8 cc|
|Fuel Tank||47.3 fl. oz.|
|Noise Rating||65 dB|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue. Should you wish more detailed specs on the Stihl BR 500, the user manual is available here.
Overview of the Stihl BR 500
- Power: The Stihl BR 500 is a gas-powered leaf blower. It sports a max air speed of 207 MPH and a max air volume rating of 544 cubic feet per minute (CFM).
- Handling: By design, this model isn’t the smallest leaf blower on the market. It’s meant to be carried as a backpack so that the bulk of the unit is out of the way and the user’s hands are free to manipulate the nozzle. Its throttle is located on the tube, which allows you to keep your left hand free. All told, it weighs 22.3 lbs — the Stihl BR 500 is neither the lightest nor the heaviest gas-powered backpack leaf blower on the market.
- Engine: This blower is fitted with a 64.8 cc 4-Mix engine. Stihl's 4-Mix engine is a 4-stroke engine that runs with a mixture of oil and gas (50:1 ratio). You can find more details about this technology below.
- Speed Settings: Sometimes you just need a little more power, while other times you may want a little more precision when moving leaves and debris. That’s why the BR 500 features variable speed settings for added control.
- Noise: As far as gas-powered backpack blowers go, this one is average in terms of noise with a rating of 65 dB.
- Fuel Tank: Its tank can hold 47.3 fl. oz., so it falls squarely in the average in terms of fuel capacity.
The Stihl BR 500's performance versus other blowers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea how the key specs of the Stihl BR 500 compare with similar leaf blowers.
- Upon exiting the nozzle, the air can reach speeds of up to 207 MPH, which is pretty much what is to be expected for gas-powered backpack leaf blowers (the one expelling air at the fastest speed being the Husqvarna 150BT with 251 MPH).
- Regarding its air volume, the airflow of the Stihl BR 500 can reach 544 CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute), which is on the low end for gas-powered backpack leaf blowers (the biggest expelled air volume belonging to the Echo PB-8010H with 1071 CFM).
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
4-Mix Engine Technology
Stihl's 4-Mix engine combines the advantages of 2-cycle and 4-cycle engines. This award-winning 4-stroke engine runs on a mix of petrol and oil (1:50). For this to happen, the petrol-oil mix enters the cylinder head through a bypass channel in order to offer full lubrication, which avoids the need for parts like an oil pump, sump or tank (which are compulsory for traditional 4-stroke engines). Therefore, there is no oil servicing to do (easy maintenance), the leaf blower is lighter (due to fewer parts) and its overall noise is lower. Additionally, all 4-MIX engines are fitted with a system that considerably reduces the effort needed to pull the starter rope.
The bottom line
- 4-Mix Engine
- Decent Tank (47.3 fl. oz.)
- Acceptable Noise (65 dB)
- Decent Weight (22.3 lbs)
- Decent MPH (207 MPH)
- Low CFM (544 CFM)
Where to buy the Stihl BR 500?
Stihl AG & Company KG was founded by Andreas Stihl in 1926. The German company specializes in handheld outdoor power equipment. Over the past fifty years, Stihl has opened manufacturing plants in Brazil, the United States, and China. The German company’s sure and steady expansion has made it a leading provider of in the lawn, forestry, and landscape maintenance industries.
Warranty InformationThe Stihl BR 500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may not cover all parts of the blower.
For more information about the warranty of Stihl blowers, please consult Stihl's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-467-8445.