The Stihl BR 500 is a gas-powered backpack leaf blower delivering 544 CFM at 207 MPH. It features a 4-cycle 64.8 cc engine. (Read full specs)
Features and Specifications
|CFM||Up to 544|
|MPH||Up to 207|
|Blowing Force||22 N|
|Engine displacement||64.8 cc|
|Fuel tank||47.3 fl. oz.|
|Noise rating||65 dB|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue. Should you wish more detailed specs on the Stihl BR 500, the user manual is available here (opens in a new tab).
Overview of the Stihl BR 500
- Power: The BR 500 gas-powered blower, manufactured by Stihl, is rated for a max air volume of 544 cubic feet per minute (CFM) and a max air speed of 207 MPH.
- Handling: By design, this model isn’t the smallest leaf blower on the market. It’s meant to be carried as a backpack so that the bulk of the unit is out of the way and the user’s hands are free to manipulate the nozzle. Its throttle is located on the tube, which allows you to keep your left hand free. At 22.3 lbs, the Stihl BR 500 is within the average weight range of gas-powered backpack blowers.
- Engine: This blower's 4-Mix engine has a displacement specification of 64.8 cc. Stihl's 4-Mix engine is a 4-stroke engine that runs with a mixture of oil and gas (50:1 ratio). You can find more details about this technology below.
- Speed Settings: Sometimes you just need a little more power, while other times you may want a little more precision when moving leaves and debris. That’s why the BR 500 features variable speed settings for added control.
- Noise: With a decibel rating of 65 dB, the BR 500 is neither louder nor quieter than its rivals in the gas-powered backpack category.
- Fuel Tank: It has an average fuel capacity, with a tank able to hold around 47.3 fl. oz of fuel.
The Stihl BR 500's performance versus other blowers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea how the key specs of the Stihl BR 500 compare with similar leaf blowers.
- The Stihl BR 500 expels air at speeds up to 207 MPH, making it standard in terms of air speed for gas-powered backpack blowers (the one expelling air at the fastest speed being the Husqvarna 150BT with 251 MPH).
- Regarding its air volume, the airflow of the Stihl BR 500 can reach 544 CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute), which is on the low end for gas-powered backpack blowers (the biggest expelled air volume belonging to the Echo PB-8010H with 1071 CFM).
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other gas backpack blowers, the Stihl BR 500 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this blower nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
4-Mix Engine Technology
Stihl's 4-Mix engine combines the advantages of 2-cycle and 4-cycle engines. This award-winning 4-stroke engine runs on a mix of gasoline and oil (1:50). For this to happen, the gasoline-oil mix enters the cylinder head through a bypass channel in order to offer full lubrication, which avoids the need for parts like an oil pump, sump or tank (which are compulsory for traditional 4-stroke engines). Therefore, there is no oil servicing to do (easy maintenance), the leaf blower is lighter (due to fewer parts) and its overall noise is lower. Additionally, all 4-MIX engines are fitted with a system that considerably reduces the effort needed to pull the starter rope.
Stihl AG & Company KG was founded by Andreas Stihl in 1926. The German company specializes in handheld outdoor power equipment. Over the past fifty years, Stihl has opened manufacturing plants in Brazil, the United States, and China. The German company’s sure and steady expansion has made it a leading provider of in the lawn, forestry, and landscape maintenance industries.
The Stihl BR 500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may not cover all parts of the blower.
For more information about the warranty of Stihl blowers, please consult Stihl's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-467-8445.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.