The Stihl SH 86 C-E is a 3-in-1 blower/vacuum/mulcher delivering 444 CFM at 170 MPH. It features a 2-cycle 27.2 cc engine. (Read full specs)
Features and Specifications
|CFM||Up to 444|
|MPH||Up to 170|
|Blowing Force||15 N|
|Engine displacement||27.2 cc|
|Fuel tank||14.9 fl. oz.|
|Noise rating||70 dB|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue. Should you wish more detailed specs on the Stihl SH 86 C-E, the user manual is available here (opens in a new tab).
Overview of the Stihl SH 86 C-E
- Power: The SH 86 C-E, built by Stihl, is a gas-powered leaf blower capable of expelling a maximum air volume of 444 cubic feet per minute (CFM). Its air speed is rated at 170 MPH.
- Handling: It’s handheld, so naturally it’s easier to handle and carry than larger leaf blowers, such as backpack models or walk-behinds. However, for a gas-powered handheld blower, the Stihl SH 86 C-E is heavier than most, weighing 12.3 lbs.
- Engine: The blower is fitted with a 27.2 cc engine. As you may or may not know, 2-stroke engines require a mixture of gasoline and oil in order to keep all the moving parts lubricated while fuelling the engine’s internal combustion. The fuel/oil ratio recommended by Stihl for the SH 86 C-E is 50:1.
- Speed Settings: In order to afford more control to the user, this unit has a variable speed control. No matter the size of the job, the user can adjust the airflow of the Stihl SH 86 C-E to match.
- Vacuum: As a blower vac, the SH 86 C-E handily vacuums unwanted material into a storage bag for easy disposal (11.2 gallon bag included).
- Mulching: The manufacturer’s specifications give it a mulching ratio of 14:1. For every 14 bags you put in, it will reduce down to just one bag of mulch.
- Noise: Its noise rating of 70 dB can be considered the standard for similar gas-powered handheld blowers.
- Fuel Tank: With a capacity of 14.9 fl. oz., this Stihl blower is average when compared to other gas handheld blowers.
- Easy2Start™: The SH 86 C-E has the letter “E” in its name, which is Stihl’s indication that it benefits from Stihl’s proprietary Easy2Start™ (also called “ErgoStart”) technology. As the name suggests, this technology makes the starter mechanism more reliable thanks to an additional spring between the crankshaft and the starter rope. Upon pulling the starter rope, the engine will attempt to start regardless of how hard the rope was pulled – even a simple two-finger pull is sufficient to start it. Easy2Start™ allows the SH 86 C-E to be started with remarkably less effort than most other blowers.
The Stihl SH 86 C-E's performance versus other blowers
The following charts are provided to give you an idea how the key specs of the Stihl SH 86 C-E compare with similar leaf blowers.
- Its max air speed of 170 MPH places it at the approximate midpoint in comparison to other gas-powered handheld blowers. If you wish to benefit from air expelled at the fastest possible speed, the Poulan Pro PPBV25 and its 230 MPH could be an option to consider.
- The SH 86 C-E is average in terms of air volume. It's rated at 444 CFM, which is common for gas-powered handheld blowers. If air volume is important to you, the Craftsman B225, with 650 CFM, could be in your good books.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other blower vacs, the Stihl SH 86 C-E is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it could most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
Stihl AG & Company KG was founded by Andreas Stihl in 1926. The German company specializes in handheld outdoor power equipment. Over the past fifty years, Stihl has opened manufacturing plants in Brazil, the United States, and China. The German company’s sure and steady expansion has made it a leading provider of in the lawn, forestry, and landscape maintenance industries.
The Stihl SH 86 C-E is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may not cover all parts of the blower.
For more information about the warranty of Stihl blowers, please consult Stihl's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-467-8445.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.